St. John’s Hoxton, London, UK.
For our 7th OTA we move back into London, heading over to the North East creative hub of Hackney / Shoreditch / Old Street. St. John’s parish church on Pitfield Street is an impressive oasis in bustling London, with an amazingly spacious building, and lots of room on the grounds for setting up Marquis tents and camping overnight.
The church is situated at the junction of New North Rd and Pitfield St.
We’re a short walk from Old St or Hoxton stations, and close to the 271 and 394 bus routes.
About St. John’s Hoxton
Completed in 1826, St John’s is a Georgian church in the Classical style and is the only one built to the design of Francis Edwards, Sir John Soane‘s foremost pupil. The building is a large example of a Commissioners’ church, retaining its floor plan intact as well as its galleries and its décor is notable, particularly for its spectacular painted ceiling. It was executed by the prominent architect Joseph Arthur Reeve in the early 20th century.
In Victorian London the parish‘s work was recognised by social campaigners, such as the philanthropist Charles Booth, for its welfare work in a deteriorating inner-city environment. To give opportunities to the “local poor”, the first vicar founded what became London’s largest savings bank and St John’s National Schools which still thrive. Many members of the church became missionaries in Africa and Asia, among them the first Bishop of Chota Nagpur, the Rt Revd Jabez Cornelius Whiteley, whose father was Chaplain to the Haberdashers’ Aske’s Hospital School formerly located in Pitfield Street.
One of the 18th-century residents of Hoxton Square, the Revd John Newton, composed the popular hymn “Amazing Grace“. Mary Wollstonecraft (1759–97), the writer and philosopher, was born in Hoxton. John Mander, an organ builder, lived at Hoxton and one of his sons, Noel Mander, founded Mander Organs.
The present vicar is the Revd Graham Hunter.